GAZA CITY (Ma’an) -- Palestinian crossing liaison officers were notified by Israel on Thursday that an earlier decision to allow cars and car parts into the Gaza Strip had been canceled.
Palestinian liaison officer Raed Fattouh said he was informed of the decision when Israeli officials advised him of the number of truckloads of aid and commercial goods that would be allowed into the Strip that day.
Officials had been expecting
a shipment of cars, banned since 2007, but set to be transferred in following an international outcry over the conditions of the siege, precipitated by a lethal Israeli attack on a Turkish-flagged aid ship bringing supplies to the coastal enclave.
The official said he was not given an explanation as to why the cars would not be delivered.
Applications for the entry of cars had been sent to Israel by the PA Ministry of Transportation, with vehicles due to arrive at the end of September.
One week earlier, the entry of car oil and spare parts into Gaza was permitted for the first time since Israel's blockade of the coastal territory was enforced in 2006. Goods entering Gaza
Fattouh was told that 180-190 truckloads of goods would enter Gaza, in addition to limited amounts of cooking gas and industrial diesel, would enter via the southern Kerem Shalom crossing, while 119 truckloads of wheat and animal feed would be permitted to enter Gaza through the northern crossing, Karni.