Hundreds protest Israeli demolition orders in Hebron village
Published Friday 22/06/2012 (updated) 23/06/2012 19:36
A farmer pictured in the South Hebron Hills on March 31, 2012.
HEBRON (Ma’an) -- Hundreds of people took part in a demonstration on Friday in the Hebron village of Susiya to protest Israeli plans to undertake mass demolitions in the area, a local committee member said.
Over 200 Palestinian, Israeli and international peace activists gathered outside of the buildings slated for demolition, Hafeth Balal, coordinator for the popular committee against the wall, said.
Israeli forces fired tear gas and stun grenades at protestors, he added.
Last week, Israeli forces issued demolition orders to Susiya village for each of its 50 buildings, a week after Israeli authorities agreed to halt all construction in the area in response to a petition filed by a settler group.
The United Nations humanitarian affairs office has warned that Susiya, a hamlet of 350 people, including 120 children, is at immediate risk of forced displacement as a result of Israeli settler group Regavim’s petition.
Local resident Nasser Nawaja told Ma'an that the demolition orders intend to clear the village of its inhabitants in order to use the land for Israeli settlements.
International law experts say that under the Fourth Geneva Convention Israel must provide for the needs of the occupied Palestinian population, and are prohibited from demolishing any structure that has a civilian purpose.