اجعلنا صفحة البداية RSS خدمة Add to favorite Facebook Twitter

Advanced

Former hunger striker Bilal Diab released
Published Thursday 09/08/2012 (updated) 17/08/2012 09:30
Font- Font+
(MaanImages/HO)
JENIN (Ma’an) -- Former hunger striker Bilal Diab was released from Israeli jail to his home in the northern West Bank on Thursday, as part of an agreement to end his 77-day strike.

Diab, 27, told reporters he carried a message from Palestinians in Israeli jails to immediately end the factional division between Hamas and Fatah.

He also called for political leaders to work to free all prisoners, in particular those held before the 1993 Oslo Accords.

Hundreds of Palestinians gathered at the al-Jalama crossing in the northern West Bank to greet the released prisoner.

Diab, from Kafr Rai village near Jenin, said his delight at being released was diminished because of thousands of prisoners left behind.

He was detained in August 2011 given a six month administrative detention order, which was renewed in February.

Two weeks later, he began an open hunger strike against his continued detention without charge.

Diab agreed to end the strike in May in exchange for release when the detention order expired, as part of a wider deal with Israeli authorities after approximately 2,000 prisoners joined the hunger strikes.

Four Palestinians remain on hunger strike in Israeli prisoners, prisoners group Addameer says.

There are 4,706 Palestinians jailed in Israel, according to latest figures from Addameer.
Print
1 ) southparkbear / usa
10/08/2012 00:27
imagine he could soon be having his jailbirds class reunion
Name Country
Comment
Characters
Note: Comments will be reviewed for appropriate content. Click here for more details.

Share/Bookmark

Israeli courts extend detention of 89 prisoners
Israeli forces detain 174 Palestinians in last week alone
Palestinian prisoners on day-long hunger strike mourning cellmate

Close Next Previous
All Rights Reserved © Ma'an News Agency 2005 - 2014