اجعلنا صفحة البداية RSS خدمة Add to favorite Facebook Twitter

Advanced

Security sources: Freed Egyptian prisoners behind Sinai attack
Published Saturday 25/08/2012 (updated) 26/08/2012 17:39
Font- Font+
People travel near the checkpoint where a deadly attack on Egyptian
soldiers took place in Rafah August 6, 2012.(Reuters/Stringer)
El-ARISH, Egypt (Ma'an) -- Egyptian security officials told Ma'an on Saturday that several of those involved in an attack on a border post with Israel earlier this month are Jihadis who had been recently released from prison by the Egyptian president.

The sources also said forensic authorities have determined the identities of some of the seven assailants who were killed by the Israeli army during the assault on Aug. 5 -- and can confirm that at least three of them are Egyptians.

Two are from Rafah and Sheikh Zuwaid in the Sinai peninsula, and the third -- who had recently been released -- is from Mersa Matruh in northern Egypt, they said.

Another three people security forces say were involved in the attack had been released by President Muhammad Mursi 45 days before it took place, the sources said.

They named them as Mahmoud Abdullah, 35, seized from Naja Shabana village a few days after the attack, and Abu Al-Miqdadm Abu Khalid and Abu Abdullah who were killed in the same military operation.

Another two bodies who died in the Naja Shabana operation could not be identified.

After they were released from custody by Mursi they headed to the Sinai peninsula to join Jihadi groups launching the attack, which left 16 Egyptian border guards dead, the sources said.

There are 16 people still on a wanted list for involvement who are from Rafah and Sheikh Zuwaid. They are under observation but cannot be captured as they are hiding among Sinai civilians, the security officials said.
Print
1 ) Business / Israel
26/08/2012 00:06
The MB said the Mossad did it. But it looks like the MB set the whole thing up to discredit the army. Interesting. They were probably hoping to kill a few Israelis too - but Israel outfought them. But it is clear they sent their own to attack the army, this was a sophisticated operation, and it worked - they sacked the heads of the army right after and are now remiliterizing Sinai. But they are broke, so maybe an oil producing country is in their sights next. Libya?
Name Country
Comment
Characters
Note: Comments will be reviewed for appropriate content. Click here for more details.

Share/Bookmark

Settlers cut off electricity, attack homes near Nablus
Palestinian factions meet in Gaza as thousands march in Dahlan rally
Warning on funds, UN doubles estimate of destroyed Gaza homes

Close Next Previous
All Rights Reserved © Ma'an News Agency 2005 - 2014