Egypt security raises Sinai alert
Published Wednesday 19/09/2012 (updated) 20/09/2012 17:57
EL-ARISH, Egypt (Ma'an) -- Egyptian security services announced a state of high alert in Sinai on Wednesday evening after receiving information about possible attacks on officers in the peninsula, security officials said.
Egyptian intelligence warned that "unprecedented attacks" were planned by jihadist groups against security headquarters in north Sinai over the next 48 hours, a security officer told Ma'an.
The intelligence service learned of plans to attack targets in north Sinai after interrogating jihadi activists detained during a crackdown on Sheikh Zuweid and searching computers seized in raids on the city.
Egyptian security forces dispatched eight armored tanks to north Sinai from Suez on Wednesday.
On Tuesday, a military leader of a Jihad group was shot dead in Sinai, security officials said, raising fears of an escalation of violence in the peninsula.
Security officers told Ma'an that Suleiman Ihmeidan was killed by Bedouins from his own clan as revenge for the killing of a sheikh earlier this year.
Ihmeidan had allegedly killed Bedouin clan leader Sheikh Khalaf al-Manbai during the holy Muslim month of Ramadan, security officials said.
Initial investigations suggested a group of gunmen related to al-Manbai ambushed Ihmeidan al-Mahidiyya village on Tuesday evening and shot him with machine guns, killing him instantly.