Minister: Israel frees former hunger striker
Published Monday 29/10/2012 (updated) 31/10/2012 13:46
Safadi stopped a 93-day hunger strike on Sept. 21 after assurances he
would be freed at the end of his current administrative detention term.
NABLUS (Ma'an) -- Israeli authorities on Monday released former hunger striker Hasan Safadi, the Palestinian Authority prisoners minister said.
Issa Qaraqe said Safadi had been freed from Hadarim jail in central Israel.
Safadi stopped a 93-day hunger strike on Sept. 21 after assurances he would be freed at the end of his current administrative detention term, which expired on Monday.
Safadi was detained from his home in Nablus in June 2011, and held without charge.
He launched a previous 71-day hunger strike on March 5, which he ended when some 2,000 prisoners joined the strikes, resulting in an agreement with Israeli authorities which included assurances to curtail the practice of administrative detention.
When Safadi's detention order was renewed on June 21, he re-launched his strike.