Egypt security official says no arrests after Sinai attacks
Published Wednesday 31/10/2012 (updated) 31/10/2012 20:12
EL-ARISH, Egypt (Ma’an) -- Security officials said Wednesday that no suspects have been arrested, days after gunmen attacked government buildings in the Sinai peninsula.
Maj.-Gen. Majdi Mousa told Ma’an that the Egyptian security services did not arrest two members of a jihadist group during Eid, denying reports of armed groups operating in Dahab.
Mousa dismissed reports that armed groups were planning to carry out operations in Sharm al-Sheikh and Dahab city.
The security chief of north of Sinai, Ahmad Baker, also denied operations in el-Arish. He said Egyptian security services did not raid a house in the city, contrary to reports.
Disorder has spread in Sinai since former President Hosni Mubarak was ousted in a popular uprising last year, with Islamist militants stepping up attacks on security forces and the Israeli border.
Egypt's president, Muhammad Mursi, has vowed to restore order.
Bedouin gunmen on Sunday attacked a checkpoint at the entrance to the popular Sinai tourist destination Dahab and attacked local government headquarters and a hospital.
Egyptian forces began two months ago their biggest security crackdown in decades after militants killed 16 border guards in the deadliest attack there since Egypt's 1973 war with Israel.