اجعلنا صفحة البداية RSS خدمة Add to favorite Facebook Twitter

Advanced

Israel approves 1,500 more settler homes in East Jerusalem
Published Monday 17/12/2012 (updated) 18/12/2012 16:38
Font- Font+
JERUSALEM (Reuters) -- Israel approved plans to build 1,500 more Jewish settler homes in East Jerusalem on Monday, an official said, days after provoking international protests against a project for another 3,000 such homes on land it captured in the 1967 Six-Day War.

Washington had condemned the latest plans, for ultra-Orthodox neighborhood Ramat Shlomo, when they were published during a 2010 visit by US Vice President Joe Biden.

Palestinians see the settlements as obstacles to achieving independent statehood. The settlements have been condemned by many countries, and the latest project is slated to be built on a portion of West Bank land Israel annexed as part of Jerusalem, in a move never recognized internationally.

"We condemn in the strongest possible terms these Israeli actions and the determination of Israel to continue expanding settlements and in the process undermining the two-state solution," said senior Palestinian official Saeb Erekat.

"These are very dangerous and alarming steps. The Israeli government is showing its determination to contravene the will of the international community," the top peace negotiator said.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu pledged last week to build at least 3,000 more settler homes on West Bank land as an expression of Israel's objections to a United Nations vote last month recognizing Palestinian statehood.

Those plans led to a string of Israeli diplomats summoned for reprimands across Europe.

Israeli Interior Ministry spokeswoman, Efrat Orbach, said on Monday a district planning commission "gave preliminary approval for" the Ramat Shlomo project which must pass a series of bureaucratic decisions before construction may actually begin.

Israeli and Palestinian peace talks have been frozen since late 2010, largely due to a dispute over the settlements, which the International Court of Justice in The Hague has ruled as illegal.
Print
1 ) some one / some where
17/12/2012 21:10
Dr. you condemn with strongest term and they build with strongest desired now it is tome you wake up and do not loose any mor land

2 ) Colin Wright / USA
18/12/2012 01:43
Evidently, they didn't get the desired reaction from Europe. Well, if at first you don't succeed...

3 ) camel abugattas / chile
18/12/2012 02:03
Me parece el colmo. ?Porque Palestina no recurre a la ONU, o denuncia de una vez por todas, las innumerables violaciones a los Derechos Humanos?. Me parece que es lo ?nico que se puede hacer.

4 ) To Camel abugattas / chile
18/12/2012 13:07
#3 You must be talking about the missiles fired by Palestinians at the Israelis, right?

5 ) @ Colin-2 / USA too
18/12/2012 15:25
1- PALESTINE is now a state (though on UNGA paper only), and this
"state" NEVER HAD E. JERUSALEM SOVEREIGNTY (but Israel does),
so Israel can, and will, approve 1,000s more settler homes, AND

2- EUROPE CAN NOT REACT, in more than words of condemnation,
which will not interfere with internal Israeli policy, any more than the
UNGA's resolution, creating the "paper-state" of Palestine interfered !!
Name Country
Comment
Characters
Note: Comments will be reviewed for appropriate content. Click here for more details.

Share/Bookmark

Israeli forces set up 'surveillance room' at Ibrahimi mosque in Hebron
Palestinian MP says exile period has ended
Palestinian Foreign Ministry condemns ISIS 'terrorism'

Close Next Previous
All Rights Reserved © Ma'an News Agency 2005 - 2014