Official: Egypt closes Rafah crossing after Sinai attack
Published Monday 19/08/2013 (updated) 20/08/2013 12:03
CAIRO (AFP) -- Egypt closed its Rafah border crossing in Sinai with the Gaza Strip on Monday after a deadly attack nearby that killed 25 soldiers, a border official told AFP.
Last week, Egypt said it would close the crossing indefinitely, but it was partially reopened on Saturday, according to the Hamas-run interior ministry in Gaza.
The decision to close the crossing, which is the only way most Palestinians in Gaza can leave the territory, comes after 25 Egyptian soldiers were killed in an attack nearby.
The Egyptian soldiers were executed by gunmen after two buses were ambushed in north Sinai, a Ma'an correspondent said.
It is the deadliest attack on Egypt's armed forces since militants killed 16 soldiers near the Gaza fence last August.
Ma'an staff contributed to this report