NABLUS (Ma'an) -- A man shot dead on Tuesday was killed in the crossfire between Palestinian Authority security forces and gunmen in Askar refugee camp, the governor of Nablus said Wednesday.
"A unit of security forces was assigned to arrest a wanted man in the camp according to the law and entered his house to arrest him," Jibrin al-Bakri told Ma'an.
"Then several gunmen started shooting at the officers from a number of directions. Some children started throwing rocks at them, which led the officers to call for reinforcements."
PA forces exchanged gunfire with the gunmen before leaving the camp, having arrested their intended suspect, al-Bakri said.
PA forces were unaware that a man had been fatally shot during the gun-battle, he added.
A committee of highly qualified personnel will be formed to investigate the incident, the Nablus governor said, and the results of the investigation will be publicly announced.
"We managed to contain the incident and learn from it in order not to repeat the same mistakes, because the PA is there to serve all Palestinians," al-Bakri said.
PA forces arrested a number of people who demonstrated and destroyed public and private property following the death of Amjad Odeh, 37.
President Mahmoud Abbas will list Odeh as a Palestinian martyr, al-Bakri added.