Sinai attacks kill 11, injure at least 15
Published Wednesday 11/09/2013 (updated) 13/09/2013 17:24
EL-ARISH, Egypt (Ma'an) -- Three militant attacks in Sinai on Wednesday killed eleven people and injured over 15, medics and security officials said.
Nine Egyptian officers and two suicide bombers were killed in three attacks on the Egyptian intelligence headquarters in Rafah.
Earlier, Egyptian security officials told Ma'an that a "terrorist" carried out a suicide attack using a car laden with explosives in Rafah.
A huge blast was followed by RPG rockets fired at the building.
Egyptian forces arrested three suspects in the area and undertook a controlled explosion on devices found after the attacks.
Officials believe that the Ansar Beit al-Maqdis group were behind the attacks.
The jihadist group claimed this week that it was behind the attempted assassination of Egyptian interior minister Mohamed Ibrahim last Thursday.
Last week, the Egyptian military staged intense strikes in the Sinai which a security source described as the "biggest aerial assault of its kind" in the peninsula.
The army has killed around 100 Islamists in the area over the past two months, and the militants killed 58 policemen, 21 soldiers and 17 civilians there, according to an AFP tally.