Al-Malki: Killing of soldier not an excuse to end talks
Published Monday 23/09/2013 (updated) 25/09/2013 02:10
NEW YORK (Ma'an) -- The killing of an Israeli soldier in Hebron on Sunday should not give Israel a pretext to evade peace negotiations, Palestinian Authority foreign minister Riyad al-Malki told Ma'an.
Speaking from New York, where he heading a PA delegation, the FM said that Palestine is grateful to all the countries that voted at the UN General Assembly to accord Palestine non-member observer status last year.
The Palestinian cause is still ongoing, and the vote was just the beginning, he added.
Palestine is committed to negotiations and the efforts of the US administration to end the Israeli occupation, despite Israel's efforts to disrupt talks by its actions on the ground, the FM said.
Al-Malki stressed that any meeting between President Abbas and Israeli prime minister Netanyahu would be premature and would require more preparation and coordination.
There are clear and binding agreements between the PA and Israel regarding a second release of Palestinian prisoners on Sept 29, al-Malki added.