Egypt army detains 8 gunmen in Sinai
Published Monday 23/09/2013 (updated) 23/09/2013 22:25
EL-ARISH, Egypt (Ma'an) -- Egypt's army on Sunday detained eight gunmen in the Sinai peninsula, security officials said.
Egyptian forces continued a crackdown on militants in Sinai, raiding the villages of al-Tuma, ad-Dahir, al-Muqata and Sheikh Zuweid, security officials said.
Eight men involved in attacks against Egyptian security forces were detained in the raids, officials said.
Egyptian forces seized large caches of weapons and explosives in al-Muqata village, including 50 anti-tank mines and powerful explosives.
Egyptian armed forces launched large scale military action against militants in Sinai earlier in September, in what officials described as the largest mobilization of force in the area since the 1973 war with Israel.
The army has killed around 100 Islamists in the area over the past two months, while militants have killed 58 policemen, 21 soldiers and 17 civilians there, according to an AFP tally.