Israeli forces block entrances to Yabad village in Jenin
Published Sunday 29/09/2013 (updated) 30/09/2013 21:38
JENIN (Ma'an) -- Israeli forces on Sunday blocked the entrances to Yabad, a Palestinian village in the northern West Bank district of Jenin, and set up military checkpoints, locals said.
Israeli forces raided the village early Sunday from 5 a.m. to 6.30 a.m. and fired multiple sounds bombs. They subsequently razed olive orchards around the village.
Israeli forces prevented Palestinians from entering or leaving the village, and seized several vehicles that attempted to leave or enter the village through alternative means, witnesses said.
Eyewitnesses told Ma'an that Israeli forces blocked the eastern entrance of Yabad and set up a military checkpoint, leaving no way in or out.
The western entrance to the village has been closed since August.
Locals noted that Israeli forces seized vehicles of individuals that had tried to pass on alternative roads through Wad Hassan near the village, and interrogated a number of them.
Israeli soldiers claimed that a number of Palestinian youths threw stones along the main road adjacent to the village targeting the neighboring Israeli settlement of Mevo Dotan.
Palestinian farmers and owners of the coal workshops who live near the main road confirmed that the situation had been calm Saturday night and until early on Sunday morning, and that they had not seen any people throwing stones at the time.
Locals also suggested that Israeli forces had fabricated the story of stone-throwers as a pretext to fully close the village.