Officials: 8 killed in Egypt attacks
Published Monday 07/10/2013 (updated) 09/10/2013 09:50
An Egyptian armed policeman arrests two people on the outskirts of
Cairo on September 19, 2013 (AFP/File Khaled Desouki)
EL-ARISH, Egypt (Ma'an) -- Eight people were killed and dozens injured in attacks across Egypt on Monday, Egyptian security officials said.
In Sinai, three police officers were killed and at least 53 injured in a car bomb targeting Egyptian security headquarters.
Dr. Khaled Abu Hashem, director of South Sinai ambulance facility, said that Issam Abed al-Kareem, Fathi Abed al-Khaliq and Fathi Marwan, all 21, were killed in the car bomb attack.
Hatem Amin, assistant manager of the security headquarters, was injured in the attack, he added.
Ambulances and private cars have been evacuating the injured to al-Tour hospital and firemen are trying to control the blaze, he added.
Senior Egyptian officials told Ma'an that an unidentified man drove a car laden with explosives into the main door of the security headquarters.
In Ismailia, gunmen opened fire at soldiers at a checkpoint, killing five.
On Sunday, at least 50 people were killed in clashes between Islamists and police in Egypt, as thousands of the military's supporters marked the anniversary of the 1973 Arab-Israeli war.
Egyptian armed forces launched large scale military action against militants in Sinai earlier in September, in what officials described as the largest mobilization of force in the area since the 1973 war with Israel.
The army has killed around 100 Islamists in the area over the past two months, while militants have killed 58 policemen, 21 soldiers and 17 civilians there, according to an AFP tally.