Israel issues stop-work orders to Hebron mosque, house
Published Monday 28/10/2013 (updated) 29/10/2013 12:53
An Israeli soldier pictured during a house demolition.(MaanImages/file)
HEBRON (Ma'an) -- Israeli authorities on Monday issued stop-work orders for a mosque and house in a village south of Yatta, a local official said.
Al-Dirat village council official, Muhammad al-Adra, told Ma'an that Israeli military forces and civil administration officials issued the orders before taking photos of the mosque and residential property.
The house belongs to Nasser Muhammad Ibrahim al-Adara and is under construction.
Locals have been fixing the roof of the mosque since last week.
Israel has destroyed more than 500 Palestinian properties in the West Bank and East Jerusalem since the beginning of this year, displacing 862 people, according to OCHA.
The South Hebron Hills, known locally as Masafer Yatta, lies almost entirely in Area C, the 62 percent of the West Bank under full Israel civil and security control since the 1993 Oslo Accords.
Around 3,000 Israeli settlers live in illegal Jewish-only settlements in the Yatta region, according to the Applied Research Institute Jerusalem.
The safety of these settlers is often given as an excuse for displacement of Palestinians who lived in the area.