Israeli settlers threaten to evict villagers
Published Sunday 03/11/2013 (updated) 04/11/2013 19:10
HEBRON (Ma'an) -- Israeli soldiers and settlers on Sunday threatened the people of Umm al-Khair village east of Yatta with eviction, a local anti-settlement committee official said.
Ratib al-Jbour said that a group of settlers accompanied by Israeli forces threatened to evict villagers from their houses according to notices previously given to property owners.
A verbal and physical confrontation erupted between the villagers and settlers, he added.
More than 500,000 Israeli settlers live in settlements across the West Bank and East Jerusalem, in contravention of international law.
The internationally recognized Palestinian territories of which the West Bank and East Jerusalem form a part have been occupied by the Israeli military since 1967.
Earlier Sunday, Israeli bulldozers razed and dug up agricultural lands near the Palestinian village of Qusra in the southern part of Nablus, a Palestinian official said.
Ghassan Daghlas, who monitors settler activities in the northern West Bank, told Ma'an that Israeli bulldozers from the nearby settlement of Migdalim entered the lands early in the morning and began to dig in the nearby village of Qusra.
Daghlas added that the bulldozers were digging to extend the nearby settlement into Palestinian land.