Imprisoned brothers granted trial after 38-day hunger strike
Published Sunday 22/12/2013 (updated) 31/12/2013 14:45
RAMALLAH (Ma'an) -- Two Palestinian men ended a 38-day hunger strike on Sunday after Israeli prison authorities agreed to send them to court after being held for nearly two months without trial, family members said.
Brothers Muhammad Salih Bader, 25, and Islam Salih Bader, 20, ended their 38-day hunger strike after Ofer prison authorities decided to transfer them to court for trial.
The brothers had been held since October 28, when undercover Israeli forces abducted the two at gunpoint in two separate incidents on the same day from Beit Liqya village west of Ramallah.
The pair launched a hunger strike in mid-November in protest against the fact that they were being held without charge, but ended the strike Sunday after the agreement was reached.
Their family told Ahrar Center for Prisoners' Studies and Human Rights that the administrative detention against the two brothers had been concluded as a part of the deal.
Administrative detention refers to the tactic of keeping a prisoner without charge or trial for extended periods of time, often due to "security" concerns.
According to Israeli human rights groups B'tselem, in October 2013, 140 Palestinians were being kept in administrative detention in Israeli prisons, down from a high of nearly 1,000 in 2002.
5,200 Palestinians were being held in Israeli jails as of October 2013, according to the Palestinian Authority's Ministry of Prisoners' Affairs. Another 1,280 are in Israeli prisons for being inside Israel without permits.
Under international law, it is illegal to transfer prisoners outside of the occupied territory in which they are detained, and the families of Palestinian prisoners' face many obstacles in obtaining permits to see their imprisoned relatives.