Egyptian troops kill four militants in North Sinai
Published Monday 23/12/2013 (updated) 24/12/2013 10:23
EL-ARISH (Ma’an) -- Egyptian military forces killed four gunmen affiliated with Wahhabi militant groups during a security operation in the northern Sinai Peninsula on Sunday, Egyptian security officials said.
The officials told Ma'an that infantry supported by air forces raided strongholds of gunmen affiliated to a group called "Ansar Bait al-Maqdis," clashing with them near the village of al-Mahdiyya south of Rafah.
Four gunmen were shot dead and five machine guns were seized along with large quantities of ammunition, the officials said.
Five other gunmen were detained, they added.
The Egyptian forces destroyed several houses, bunkers, and vehicles without registration plates during the operation.
Egyptian armed forces launched large scale military action against militants in the Sinai Peninsula earlier in September, in what officials described as the largest mobilization of force in the area since the 1973 war with Israel.
The military action comes in the wake of rising instability and almost daily attacks in the region, following a July 3 coup by the Egyptian military which unseated former president Mohamed Morsi.