Family to receive remains of Palestinian from Israeli authorities
Published Saturday 25/01/2014 (updated) 28/01/2014 04:46
NABLUS (Ma'an) -- Israeli authorities are scheduled to return the remains of a Palestinian man from the northern West Bank on Tuesday, a Palestinian group said in a statement.
A campaign to retrieve the remains of Palestinians held in Israel said that the family of Ahmad Hafith Saadat Abd al-Jawwad would receive his remains on Tuesday at the Taybeh checkpoint near Tulkarem.
Abd al-Jawwad's family lives in Askur refugee camp near Nablus in the northern West Bank, according to the statement.
The man was killed after he clashed with Israeli security guards near the illegal Israeli settlement of Alon Moreh near Nablus on March 28, 2002. He was 19.
So far this year, four Palestinian families have received the remains of relatives who were killed by Israeli forces and whose bodies had been held in Israel.
Salim Khillah, a spokesman for a committee to retrieve Palestinian remains from Israeli custody, told Ma'an on Jan. 17 that Israeli authorities had decided to return the remains of 36 Palestinians held in Israeli "numbered graves."
Khallah said Israel had agreed to return the remains as a gesture to encourage the PLO to continue with peace negotiations.
But a spokesman for an Israeli human rights group told Ma'an Thursday that the delivery of the remains was the result of a Supreme Court decision.
A spokesman for HaMoked said that the decision came in response to the organization's demands for the release of the remains of every Palestinian currently held in Israel's custody.