4 Egyptian troops killed, 11 injured in attack on bus in Sinai
Published Sunday 26/01/2014 (updated) 27/01/2014 15:17
CAIRO (Ma'an) -- Four Egyptian soldiers were killed and eleven others were injured on Sunday morning in an armed attack by unidentified gunmen on a bus carrying Egyptian soldiers in the Sinai Peninsula.
An Egyptian military source privy to the details told a Ma'an reporter in El-Arish that a group of gunmen ambushed a bus carrying soldiers in the winding Mitla Pass in the central Sinai district.
The attackers fired a rocket-propelled grenade at the bus before showering it with gunfire, killing four soldiers and injuring eleven others. The attackers then fled the scene.
The injured troops were evacuated to al-Salam military hospital in Suez.
Egyptian military sources said that they believed the attack was possibly carried out by gunmen affiliated to the al-Qaeda inspired Ansar Beit al-Maqdis group, which has admitted responsibility for carrying out numerous similar attacks.
The attack comes a day after clashes across Egypt killed at least 29 people on the third anniversary of the 2011 revolution.
More than 1,000 protesters were also arrested, as government forces continued a crackdown on protests that has killed more than 1,000 since the military's ouster of president Mohamed Morsi in July.
Since then, Muslim Brotherhood activists have held weekly demonstrations in protest, while the army has consolidated its grip on power and violently repressed protests against its rule.
At the same time, Wahhabi militant groups have stepped up a violent campaign of attacks against the government, particularly in the Sinai Peninsula.