PFLP-GC: No Hamas move to end Yarmouk crisis
Published Tuesday 28/01/2014 (updated) 28/01/2014 16:15
DAMASCUS (Ma'an) -- The pro-regime Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine-General Command group denied reports Monday that it accepted an initiative from Hamas to end the siege at Yarmouk refugee camp.
But the PFLP-GC welcomed Hamas’ recent statement in which the movement tried to convince militia groups to sign an initiative of 14 Palestinian factions and withdraw from the camp.
There were no other initiatives, the statement said.
Hamas spokesman in Lebanon Ali Baraka said earlier on Monday that parties agreed to Hamas’ initiative which aims to end the siege on the camp, the PFLP-GC said.
Baraka also said that 80 percent of the militias in the camp agreed to Hamas’s initiative, a claim which was categorically denied by the PFLP-GC.
Yarmouk in southern Damascus has been under a choking army siege since June, along with several other opposition-held areas across Syria, mostly around the capital and in the central city of Homs.
Food aid entered Yarmouk earlier this month for the first time in four months.
UN rights chief Navi Pillay has warned blocking assistance to civilians "in desperate need may amount to a war crime."
Activists in other besieged areas have also complained of dismal conditions.