اجعلنا صفحة البداية RSS خدمة Add to favorite Facebook Twitter

Advanced

Israel finance minister suspends settlement funds
Published Sunday 02/02/2014 (updated) 04/02/2014 10:18
Font- Font+
A Palestinian activist stands ontop of an abandoned house near
Jericho in the occupied West Bank on Jan. 31, 2014, during a
protest against Israeli settlements (AFP/Ahmad Gharabli)
JERUSALEM (AFP) -- Israeli Finance Minister Yair Lapid has decided to suspend the transfer of public funds to West Bank settlements pending a probe into their alleged misuse, his office said.

The move announced late Saturday was not expected to affect controversial plans for settlement expansion, a major obstacle to US-backed peace talks relaunched last year.

Lapid's move came after it emerged that some funds earmarked for compensating West Bank communities were transferred to the settlement leadership for political activity, a ministry statement late Saturday said.

West Bank settlements receive compensation following the 10-month construction freeze of 2009-2010, which came as part of US-led peace efforts.

The funds were intended for security and the maintenance of schools and kindergartens.

But after it emerged the funds were "allegedly being illegally channeled to the Yesha Council, which was using the money for political activities -- including against the government -- the minister ordered to immediately cut the future fundings under this clause," the statement read.

The minister has ordered an investigation into the matter, it added.

A spokeswoman for Lapid told AFP that during the week-long probe no government monies would be transferred to settlements.

According to the Israeli anti-settlement think-tank Molad, the government has already transferred 148 million shekels ($42 million) to West Bank settlements as compensation to make up for property taxes not collected on structures not built.

Lapid's decision comes as Israel grapples with an international campaign to boycott settlements, which are considered illegal under international law.

US actress Scarlett Johansson on Thursday stepped down as ambassador for British NGO Oxfam after it had criticized her for promoting the Israeli firm SodaStream, which has a factory in a settlement east of Jerusalem.
Print
1 ) Sarah / The Netherlands
02/02/2014 17:59
So next to getting planes from US (next to billions a year) they were getting compensation for the settlement freeze that never was a real freeze? Unbelievable!!! All Palestinians did get was threats to lose US aid (some pocket money compare to "Israeli" aid) and they where blamed for "talks" failing. And US now is again leading "peace"talks?? Palestinians are forced to talk to war criminals like US, Blair, Livni etc.

2 ) Maureen / Australia
02/02/2014 23:33
Zionist sqatters biting the (Zionist Goverment's) hand that feeds it! LOL!
Name Country
Comment
Characters
Note: Comments will be reviewed for appropriate content. Click here for more details.

Share/Bookmark

2 Palestinians succumb to wounds from Israeli assault on Gaza
Meshaal: Israeli assault strengthened Palestinian national unity
Palestinians slowly return to familiar routines in Gaza

Close Next Previous
All Rights Reserved © Ma'an News Agency 2005 - 2014