Rafah crossing to operate for 3 days
Published Tuesday 04/02/2014 (updated) 05/02/2014 20:55
GAZA CITY (Ma'an) -- Egyptian authorities opened the Rafah crossing with Gaza on Tuesday, officials from Gaza's Interior Ministry said.
Two buses have crossed from the Gaza Strip to Egypt, Gaza officials said.
The crossing will be open until Thursday with priority given to passengers who registered to travel between Jan. 30 and Feb. 1.
The Rafah crossing has been the principal connection between Gaza's 1.7 million residents and the outside world since the imposition of an economic blockade by the State of Israel beginning in 2007.
Egypt has frequently closed the terminal since the army ousted president Mohamed Morsi in July last year. Hundreds of tunnels that Gazans used for years to import fuel, building materials and other goods have also been destroyed.