Egyptian troops shoot dead 5 suspected militants in North Sinai
Published Tuesday 18/02/2014 12:34
CAIRO (Ma’an) – Egyptian forces on Monday shot dead five militants and detained three affiliated to “terrorist” groups in Sheikh Zuweid and Rafah cities in North Sinai district, an Egyptian military spokesman said.
Ahmad Muhammad Ali said in a statement that Egyptian troops stormed several “terrorist hideouts” in the two cities. He added that 34 bunkers were demolished as well as three motorcycles and two pickup trucks.
Separately, Egyptian border guard forces discovered and destroyed 21 smuggling tunnels on the border with the Gaza Strip in Rafah bringing the number of tunnels taken over so far to 1,272 since launching a security campaign in Sinai, according to Egyptian sources.