اجعلنا صفحة البداية RSS خدمة Add to favorite Facebook Twitter

Advanced

Child killed, 4 wounded in Israeli strike on donkey cart in Gaza
Clashes break out as Israeli troops escort settlers to Joseph's Tomb
Published Sunday 20/04/2014 (updated) 21/04/2014 15:27
Font- Font+
(MaanImages/file)
NABLUS (Ma'an) -- Israeli forces clashed with local Palestinians near Joseph's Tomb east of Nablus on Sunday morning, locals and Palestinian security sources told Ma'an.

The clashes broke after hundreds of Jewish Israelis arrived at Joseph's Tomb around midnight and performed religious rituals at the site, escorted by dozens of Israeli military vehicles.

Palestinian security sources said more than 30 Israeli military vehicles stormed Nablus before midnight and were deployed around Joseph's Tomb near Balata refugee camp east of the city.

Shortly after that, dozens of buses and private cars belonging to the Jewish Israelis arrived and hundreds began to perform religious rites, staying until early morning hours.

Witnesses said Israeli troops fired tear gas canisters and stun grenades at young Palestinian men who pelted military vehicles with stones and empty bottles.

No injuries or detentions were reported.

Jewish groups frequently visit Joseph's Tomb under the protection of Israeli forces, who deploy heavily in the area and often get into clashes with youth from the neighboring Balata refugee camp during these visits.

Despite lying in an area under Palestinian authority deep in the West Bank, Israeli forces maintain control at the site and prohibit Muslims from praying there.

Many Palestinians believe that Joseph's Tomb is the funerary monument to Sheikh Yusef Dweikat, a local religious figure. Others believe that the tomb belongs to the Biblical patriarch Joseph. The area is sacred to Jews, Samaritans, Christians and Muslims alike.

More than 500,000 Israeli settlers live in settlements across the West Bank and East Jerusalem, in contravention of international law.

The internationally recognized Palestinian territories of which the West Bank and East Jerusalem form a part have been occupied by the Israeli military since 1967.
Print
1 ) Peter / Usa
20/04/2014 17:10
This has to be the most racist anti-semetic act of the 21st-century done to Jews by any people,

2 ) Arnold / Canada
20/04/2014 17:50
Muslims .... learn to share ! ! !

3 ) Haim Ahmed Emmet / NL
21/04/2014 12:06
Its a shame that people that want to pray a few time year at Joseph's Tomb have to be heavily protected. I remember just after 1967 there were clashes between Muslims and Jews at the Tomb. at least now these eJews can safely pray there not harming anybody.

4 ) Colin Wright / USA
23/04/2014 06:33
The whole 'Joseph's Tomb' thing got prominence precisely because it offered a way to stage incidents with Muslims. Everyone knows perfectly well the site dates back to the nineteenth century. It's just another example of how profoundly dishonest Zionism is.

5 ) Colin Wright / USA
23/04/2014 06:36
To Arnold #2: 'Muslims .... learn to share ! ! !' This from the proponent of the group that took 78% of something for itself, and now proposes to take the remaining 22%. You guys are mind-numbing in your dishonesty and hypocrisy.

6 ) Colin Wright / USA
23/04/2014 06:38
re Peter #1: 'This has to be the most racist anti-semetic act of the 21st-century done to Jews by any people.' That one goes beyond the usual Zionist cant to enter some realm of incomprehensibility. What on earth do you mean?
Name Country
Comment
Characters
Note: Comments will be reviewed for appropriate content. Click here for more details.

Share/Bookmark

Child killed, 4 wounded in Israeli strike on donkey cart in Gaza
UN school sheltering Gaza displaced hit by Israel shells
Over 50 Palestinians killed Tuesday as Israeli assault continues

Close Next Previous
All Rights Reserved © Ma'an News Agency 2005 - 2014