Girls, teachers hurt after botched science experiment
Published Sunday 04/05/2014 (updated) 06/05/2014 15:45
TULKAREM (Ma’an) – Several school girls and teachers were hospitalized Sunday after they inhaled fluorine gas at a school lab in Baqa al-Sharqiyya near Tulkarem in the northern West Bank.
Director of Tulkarem civil defense services Sami Hamdan told Ma’an that a bottle containing the poisonous gas fell to the ground and broke. As a result, 20 girls and five teachers were hurt. Nine were evacuated to Thabit Thabit hospital in Tulkarem.
Civil defense teams evacuated the school, Hamdan added. He noted that the Tulkarem civil defense had just evacuated the same school during a drill last week. This likely reduced casualties, he said.
Hamdan asserted that girls and teachers who were hospitalized were in good condition and would be released the same day.