EU urges Israel to halt home demolitions in Area C
Published Tuesday 06/05/2014 (updated) 08/05/2014 10:31
A Palestinian boy pictured in the Jordan Valley (MaanImages)
BETHLEHEM (Ma'an) -- The EU missions in Jerusalem and Ramallah on Monday condemned recent home demolitions and evictions of Palestinians in the occupied West Bank, urging Israel against such actions, a statement said.
The missions called on Israel "to meet its obligations regarding the living conditions of the Palestinian population in Area C, including by halting the forced transfer of population and demolitions of Palestinian housing and infrastructure."
The statement pointed specifically at the April 29 demolition of a mosque and three houses in Khirbet al-Tawil near Nablus, "affecting 29 individuals of which 21 are minors."
Additionally, Israeli municipality officials on April 28 issued eviction notices to homes populated by a total of 38 people in Sateh al-Bahr near Jericho, the statement said.
"The EU missions in Jerusalem and Ramallah call on the Government of Israel not to implement these orders."
Israel demolished over 500 Palestinian structures throughout the US-brokered peace negotiations, the PLO said in a statement on April 29.
Citing figures from the UN's Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, the PLO said Israel demolished a total of 508 Palestinian structures, 312 of which were homes, from July 30, 2013 to April 29, 2014.
Area C makes up about 61 percent of the occupied West Bank. Under the terms of the 1993 Oslo Accords between Israel and the PLO, it is under full Israeli military control.
Last year, the World Bank reported that Israel's control over Area C deprives the Palestinian economy of an estimated $3.4 billion a year.