اجعلنا صفحة البداية RSS خدمة Add to favorite Facebook Twitter

Advanced

Half of Yemenis threatened by food crisis
Published Saturday 31/05/2014 (updated) 02/06/2014 11:39
Font- Font+
Yemeni men wait to collect food aid for internally displaced families
living in a district of the Yemeni capital Sanaa, on July 19, 2012
AFP/File
GENEVA (AFP) -- Nearly half of Yemen's population is going hungry, the UN's food agency warned Friday, saying it was scaling up its aid to the impoverished country.

More than 10 million of Yemen's some 25 million inhabitants are either severely food insecure -- meaning they require food assistance because they cannot find enough food for themselves -- or teetering on the edge, the World Food Program said.

The country has one of the world's highest levels of malnutrition among children, with nearly half of all kids under the age of five -- a full two million of them -- stunted, WFP spokeswoman Elisabeth Byrs told reporters.

A million of those kids are acutely malnourished, she said.

The problem is difficult to tackle.

Yemen, one of the world's poorest countries, has been going through a difficult political transition since veteran president Ali Abdullah Saleh was ousted in February 2012 after a year of deadly protests against his 33-year rule.

The country is struggling with endemic poverty, political instability, large-scale displacement of Yemenis and refugee influxes from other countries, civil strife, and rife insecurity.

At the same time, Yemen is particularly vulnerable to international hikes in food prices, since it imports up to 90 percent of its main staple foods like wheat and sugar, Byrs pointed out.

In a bid to try to get the situation under control, WFP is scaling up its food assistance program to Yemen, where it already provided aid to some 839,000 people last month, she said.

Starting in July, the UN agency plans to launch a special two-year "Recovery Operation," aimed at addressing long-term hunger and helping ensure food stability for some six million people.

Under the program, the UN agency will among other things provide malnutrition prevention and treatment, give 200,000 girls in school take-home rations of food, and will help create rural jobs, improve agriculture, and water supplies, Byrs said.

The aid increase will be costly, she said, with the agency estimating the two-year program will cost around $491 million.

So far however, WFP remains $117.5 million short to cover its operations just until the end of this year, Byrs said.
Print
1 ) Alison / Scotland (UK)
01/06/2014 23:06
The world needs urgently to address the hunger and poverty of countries like Yemen. Small wonder that the dire situation there with lack of employment, food and hope of improvement combined with instability breeds recruits for violence and extremism. I hope this call from WFP is heeded and funding needs met.

2 ) Paulo / Spain
02/06/2014 01:06
Something a bit perverse here, the Palestinians are starving themselves to death, and their Arabian cousins in Yemen, are starving to death.
Name Country
Comment
Characters
Note: Comments will be reviewed for appropriate content. Click here for more details.

Share/Bookmark

Palestinians subject to frequent search raids in Ramon prison
Bystander shot dead in brawl near Nablus
Israel troops under fire on Egypt border, 2 injured

Close Next Previous
All Rights Reserved © Ma'an News Agency 2005 - 2014