5 Palestinians detained in overnight raids in Nablus, Hebron
Published Sunday 08/06/2014 (updated) 09/06/2014 15:38
BETHLEHEM (Ma'an) -- Israeli forces detained five Palestinians across the West Bank in overnight raids Sunday morning in Nablus and near Hebron.
Israeli forces carried out two separate predawn raids in the Nablus region in the northern West Bank and detained three young Palestinian men there, Palestinian security sources told Ma'an.
The sources said that Israeli troops stormed the old city of Nablus and detained 23-year-old Amjad Hassan Anabtawi and 22-year-old Ali Nidal Abu Shamat after ransacking their homes.
Separately, a number of Israeli military vehicles raided the village of Yasid south of Nablus before dawn and detained 19-year-old Asim Muhammad Thahir.
Locals told Ma'an that clashes broke between young Palestinian men and Israeli soldiers during the detention raid.
Israeli forces also stormed al-Fawwar refugee camp south of Hebron in the southern West Bank before dawn Sunday and detained two young Palestinian men, locals told Ma'an.
The detainees were identified as Muhammad Abdullah Abu Tuimah and Salamah Suleiman Daajnah.
An Israeli military spokesperson said that only two Palestinians had been detained in Nablus and one in Hebron.
He said that the three had been taken away for "security questioning," but declined to state where they had been taken.