Israel raids Nablus without notifying Palestinian security
Published Thursday 26/06/2014 (updated) 27/06/2014 13:19
NABLUS (Ma'an) -- Israeli forces raided Nablus overnight Wednesday without coordinating with Palestinian Authority security services, Palestinian officials said.
Security officials told Ma'an that this is the first time in years that Israeli forces have entered Area A without first coordinating with Palestinian security forces.
Israeli military vehicles raided the Tunis and Rafidia neighborhoods of Nablus and Balata refugee camp without notifying the Palestinian liaison department.
According to security coordination protocol as part of the Oslo Accords, Israel's military liaison department must notify its Palestinian counterpart when Israeli forces enter Area A.
After notification, Palestinian security forces withdraw officers from the street and public places until the Israeli military activity is finished.
A Palestinian security official told Ma'an that the unprecedented Israeli action reflects a new trend against the Palestinian Authority.
Locals said that during the raids Israeli soldiers dropped match boxes in the streets with a phrase in colloquial Arabic reading "Beware! Hamas is inflaming the West Bank."
Meanwhile, Israeli forces raided over 200 homes in the Nablus village of Awarta overnight Wednesday.
Israeli forces damaged furniture and other belongings during the inspections and detained Ayman Hani Darawsha, 25, and several other unidentified men.
Soldiers forced dozens of men into the street and threatened to detain them under administrative detention, locals added.
Hamas has repeatedly criticized PA security coordination with Israel as a "crime."
Abbas said last week that security coordination with Israel was in the Palestinians' "interest" and pledged there would be no new intifada, or uprising.