2 prisoners continue hunger strike despite deal
Published Friday 27/06/2014 (updated) 28/06/2014 18:26
JERUSALEM (Ma'an) -- Two Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails have decided to continue their hunger strike, despite a deal being struck by prisoners and the Israeli prison administration.
The two prisoners are Ayman Itbeish, who started his hunger strike around five months ago, and who is at Ichilov Hospital in Tel Aviv, and Moussa Raed, who joined the strike about a month ago.
Israeli news agency Maariv confirmed the report, citing the Israel Prison Service.
Many other prisoners also remain on hunger strike, despite the deal.
Around 125 Palestinian prisoners were on hunger strike for more than 60 days in protest against their indefinite detention without charge or trial by Israeli authorities until Tuesday, when 63 agreed to end their strike as part of a deal.
The original group was joined by hundreds of other prisoners, who went on hunger strike in solidarity in the weeks since.
Israel Prison Service spokeswoman Sivan Weizman said earlier this month that the hunger strike was the longest-ever mass strike staged by Palestinian detainees.
Around 5,700 Palestinians are currently being held in Israeli jails, with nearly 300 in administrative detention.
Correction: An earlier version of this article said that Ayman Itbeish has been on hunger strike for three months, when in fact he has been on hunger strike for five.