اجعلنا صفحة البداية RSS خدمة Add to favorite Facebook Twitter

Advanced

12 Palestinians killed in Israeli shelling on Jabaliya
Israel launches airstrikes across Gaza Strip
Published Sunday 29/06/2014 (updated) 30/06/2014 16:30
Font- Font+
(MaanImages/file)
GAZA CITY (Ma'an) -- Israeli warplanes launched a series of airstrikes early Sunday, hitting a factory and a number of military bases belonging to Palestinian militant groups across the Gaza Strip.

The air strikes came hours after a rocket struck a factory in southern Israel, causing damage but no injuries, which followed an Israeli missile strike in Gaza that killed two and wounded two more on Friday.

An Israeli airstrike hit a concrete factory in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip as well as a military site in the western outskirts of the city. The airstrikes caused material damage but no human casualties.

A military site belonging to Hamas' military wing was also hit near Gaza's sole power plant in the Nuseirat neighborhood of Gaza City.

Witnesses told Ma'an that an Israeli airstrike hit the Abu Jarad military base which is located on the southern outskirts of Gaza City and belongs to the military wing of Hamas. No injuries were reported in that strike.

Another Israeli airstrike hit an open area west of Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip.

The Israeli military said in a statement that the strikes targeted "three terror activity sites and three concealed rocket launchers in the southern Gaza Strip, a weapon manufacturing site in the northern Gaza Strip and a terror activity site and weapon manufacturing site in the central Gaza Strip," adding that "direct hits were confirmed.

The military said that the strikes came in response to yesterday's rockets as well as 25 rockets that have struck Israel in the last two weeks, causing no injuries.

The number of rockets launched from Gaza significantly increased when Israeli forces launched a massive arrest campaign across the West Bank, which has so far led to the deaths of seven Palestinians and the arrest of nearly 600.

In addition to the airstrikes, Israeli forces stationed near the border also launched a number of attacks onto the besieged coastal enclave.

Israeli military tanks fired shells at an open area near Deir al-Balah in the central Gaza Strip. Similar strikes were also reported in Beit Hanoun in the north, without any injuries reported.

Also on Saturday night, Israeli soldiers opened fire at a group of Palestinians east of Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip, injuring two men.

Israeli forces frequently shoot at farmers and other civilians inside the Gaza Strip if they approach large swathes of land near the border that the Israeli military has deemed off-limits to Palestinians.

The "security buffer zone" extends between 500 meters and 1500 meters into the Strip, effectively turning local farms into no-go zones.

According to UNOCHA, 17 percent of Gaza's total land area and 35 percent of its agricultural land were within the buffer zone as of 2010, directly affecting the lives and livelihoods of more than 100,000 Gazans.
Print
1 ) Sarah / The Netherlands
29/06/2014 12:07
Silence will be met with silence ("Israel" said) They mean: we can attack whenever we want and Palestinians must be in silence (like the rest of the world) Don't attack Gaza and you will get silence! BTW Gantz said today they will intensify attacks on Gaza Strip. There we go again. Ramadan "Israeli" style.

2 ) Kol Hakavod / UK
29/06/2014 12:57
''no human casualties''. No children no grandmothers, and no hospitals or schools which have their weapon stores and command centers purpose built into them, have been targeted.

3 ) Bemused / New Zealand
29/06/2014 14:36
Imagine the international outrage if Israel were attacked on the first day of Passover - but as usual, the international community ignores this gross abuse of Islam, and Palestinians. With Liebermann claiming that full occupation of Gaza is the only solution to rocket attacks (instead of considering the easy opption of Israel just obeying international law) no doubt the international community will also stand by while Gaza is illegally occupied yet again.

4 ) Kol Hakavod / UK
29/06/2014 15:48
@3 ''Imagine the international outrage if Israel were attacked on the first day of Passover '' It WAS, at 19:20 on March 27, 2002, when during the Passover dinner, a suicide bomber blew himself up in the dining hall of Park Hotel in Netanya. 29 people died in the explosion, and 64 were injured. Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack. And there was no ''international outrage''. So Israel continues to defend her citizens.

5 ) Two Linkages / "From & To"
29/06/2014 17:01
The "PRC claims responsibility for rockets fired * FROM Gaza", and consequently also the Israeli airstrikes * TO Gaza, and thus: 1- any Gaza civilians deaths or injuries are the PRC's responsibility, just as 2- any West Bank Palestinian deaths or injuries are the responsibility of the Palestinian militants that kidnapped the 3 Israeli teenagers !!

6 ) jv / Canada
29/06/2014 17:37
The Palestinian people need to get rid of the rockets. They don't scare the Israelis, they don't hurt the Israelis, firing Iron Dome rockets doesn't cost the Israelis any money because they are paid for by the US. Instead the rockets give Israel diplomatic cover to continue performing war crimes. Your battle isn't going to be won or helped in any way by the rockets. They only hurt Palestinians and seriously damage the international communities efforts to help the Palestinian people.

7 ) Rondo Mondo / Canada
29/06/2014 18:14
@4 And how did the Palestinians react? The relatives of the bomber in Tulkarem celebrated the deaths. Neighbors gave congratulations. The PA named a soccer tournament after the terrorist in one year. On the 10th Anniversary the PA gave the terrorist's family a commemorative plaque of the event and Hamas on paltimes glorified the the bomber and the killings. After a suicide bomber struck Sbarro pizza killing 16 young Israelis, Palestinians at Nablus University set up a commemorative exhibit.

8 ) Sarah / The Netherlands
29/06/2014 18:47
#4 I remember... it was after "Israel" killed 106 Palestinians. How many wounded and how many houses where destroyed, I don't remember, it where many, to many. But you didn't feel the need to mention that?

9 ) Tanias Titz / Germany
29/06/2014 19:02
The explosive belt worn by the suicide bomber was designed as a vest with pockets that hid approximately 10kg of explosives. @3 Bemused & recall the terrorist attack was initiated and orchestrated by Abbas Al-Sayyid resident of Tulkarm, who served as head of the Hamas military wing in Tulkarm. Al-Sayyid prepared the bomber, put the explosive belt on him, and instructed him on how to detonate it. Oudeh was filmed reading out his will with an M16 rifle in his hand, wearing a "Hamas" headband.

10 ) @ JV-6 / USA
01/07/2014 01:18
The Palestinian culture, that supports murder, terror, & war crimes, does NOT Allow them to stop, act like humans, even if: - It is Not Costing Israel, and Not Harming Israel, But - Is Hurting Palestinians, and "damaging them internationally".
Name Country
Comment
Characters
Note: Comments will be reviewed for appropriate content. Click here for more details.

Share/Bookmark

57 dead in Israeli shelling Tuesday morning, power plant shuts down
More than 125 killed in Gaza since midnight
13 members of extended family killed in Gaza strikes

Close Next Previous
All Rights Reserved © Ma'an News Agency 2005 - 2014