اجعلنا صفحة البداية RSS خدمة Add to favorite Facebook Twitter

Advanced

3 killed in new Gaza airstrikes
Published Monday 14/07/2014 (updated) 15/07/2014 10:02
Font- Font+
(MaanImages)
GAZA CITY (Ma'an) -- Israeli airstrikes late Sunday killed three Palestinians in southern Gaza, medics said.

Maher Abu Mor, 24, Saddam Muammar, 23, and Moussa Muammar, 60, died in the attacks on eastern Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip, the medics said.

The assault brought the death toll since Tuesday to at least 170, according to Ministry of Health records.

More than 1,000 Palestinians have been injured in the same period.

Earlier, airstrikes killed Samir Hamdan in Beit Hanoun, Gaza health ministry spokesman Ashraf al-Qidra said, while Hussein Muhesin, 19, died of wounds sustained in an airstrike on Gaza City.

Three children were injured in the strike.

Earlier, Layla Hasan al-Udat was killed in al-Maghazi refugee camp in central Gaza and Ashraf Zurub, 21, died from wounds sustained a day earlier in airstrikes.

Husam Ibrahim al-Najjar, 14, was killed in Sunday attacks in northern Gaza and 80-year-old Hijaziyya al-Hilou was killed in the Shujaiyya neighborhood of Gaza City when an Israeli missile hit the al-Hilou family home.

Medics said it was a miracle the rest of her family survived the attack.

OCHA said Saturday that 70 percent of Palestinian fatalities are civilians, of whom 30 percent are children.

Israel warns north Gaza

In a sign of a likely further escalation, Israel dropped leaflets over northern Gaza, urging residents of the town of Beit Lahiya in particular to leave their homes "for their own safety".

"Civilians are requested to evacuate their residences immediately and move by 12 p.m. today," the leaflets said, naming locations which would prove to be most dangerous.

A UN official said that some 4,000 Palestinians have already fled their homes and sought refuge in UN facilities.

On Saturday, UNRWA official Robert Turner said that the UN refugee agency could house over 50,000 Palestinians refugees if a ground invasion took place.

Israel has warned that preparations are under way for a possible ground incursion, with tanks and artillery massed along the border and some 33,000 reservists mobilised out of 40,000 approved by the cabinet.

Israeli hardline Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman has said he expects a political decision on a possible ground operation to be taken by Sunday.
Print
1 ) Maureen / Australia
14/07/2014 02:17
Leiberman should climb back up his tree and stop salivating for Palestinian blood!

2 ) Tibi / Tubas
14/07/2014 04:30
Israel responding to Lebanon or Syria attacks would be newsworthy, but Israel responding to Gaza attacks, and people being killed in Gaza airstrikes is more the new normal, than newsworthy, and fit to print.

3 ) JoeFattal / USA
14/07/2014 04:56
It took 6 days for Israel to win the 6 days war, and we are in the 6th day and Israel is still striking Gaza, and the militants are still launching their rockets. Isreal must have trouble trying to win this conflict and Hamas turned to be a bigger challenge than they expected. The reason is in the 6 days war Israel knew who they were fighting, in Gaza they don't know, yes its Hamas but who is a Hamas and who is not. That's the question. And that's why Israel will never win it.

4 ) Ido / Palestine
14/07/2014 08:30
UN says 77 percent of Palestinians killed by Israel in current assault are civilians: http://www.ochaopt.org/documents/ocha_opt_sitrep_11_07_2014.pdf
Name Country
Comment
Characters
Note: Comments will be reviewed for appropriate content. Click here for more details.

Share/Bookmark

PLO wants to link ending Islamic extremism, Israeli occupation
Official: PA forces regularly conduct politically motivated arrests
Settlers take over 2 buildings in East Jerusalem

Close Next Previous
All Rights Reserved © Ma'an News Agency 2005 - 2014