اجعلنا صفحة البداية RSS خدمة Add to favorite Facebook Twitter

Advanced

Israel resumes airstrikes on Gaza Strip
Published Tuesday 15/07/2014 (updated) 16/07/2014 22:18
Font- Font+
Palestinians inspect their damaged homes after an Israeli missile
strike hit Gaza City on July 8, 2014 (AFP Mahmud Hams)
GAZA CITY (AFP) -- Israel carried out at least four airstrikes against Gaza on Tuesday afternoon, resuming raids after a truce failed to
get off the ground, AFP correspondents and eyewitnesses said.

An AFP correspondent reported one air strike east of Gaza City, and eyewitnesses reported a second in the center of the city.

Witnesses also reported strikes in al-Nuseirat in central Gaza as well as in the Khan Younis area in the south.

There were no immediate reports of deaths or injuries.

Israeli airstrikes killed five Palestinians in Gaza overnight Monday, with at least 192 killed and 1,400 injured as Israel's assault enters its eighth day.

The raids came shortly after Israel's army announced it was ending a ceasefire it said it had observed since 9 a.m. under the terms of an Egyptian truce proposal.

Hamas said it was not consulted by any official party and only heard of the initiative through the media.

"Hamas has fired 47 rockets since we suspended our strikes in Gaza at 9:00 a.m. As a result, we have resumed our operation against Hamas," the army said on its official Twitter account.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, a senior Israeli official told AFP that the military had been ordered to "act forcefully".

Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said: "Nobody has consulted us about this initiative, and so it is natural that the initiative isn't binding to us."

The Hamas official condemned international and regional support for the ceasefire initiative, explaining that if one of the sides involved in the conflict is not consulted it is "worthless."

More than 192 people have been killed in Gaza over the past week as Israel has waged a relentless air campaign against the coastal enclave, killing mainly civilians, according to OCHA.

In response, militants have fired more than a thousand rockets into Israel where no one has been killed in the current confrontation.

Ma'an staff contributed to this report
Print
1 ) JoeFattal / USA
15/07/2014 18:38
It looks from reading others that people start believing that Israeli extremisists group fuel the tensions by killing the 3 settlers. Even the Christian Monitor which is somehow is pro-Israel said that even Israel don't believe Hamas or any of its factions has anything to do with it. They even said that Israel knew that the 3 settlers were dead the first hour they were kidnap, they knew where they were but yet gave everyone the impression that they were looking for them. That's Israel for you

2 ) ben Zalman / USA
15/07/2014 18:48
If what the roaring mice of Hamas truly want is war then they have no right to complain about the crushing defeat they are about to suffer from Israel, the mighty yet gentle lion. Am Yisrael Chai. Youve tried your best for the people of Gaza but Hamas is in charge there, no its time to do your best for the Israelis.

3 ) Imran ahmed / England
15/07/2014 18:54
May Allah protect u all from these Zionist cowards

4 ) LOL Hamas fired over / 70 rockets after
15/07/2014 19:07
ISRAEL ACCEPTED CEASE FIRE/ NOW PAY THE PRICE

5 ) Tan Ki / EU
15/07/2014 19:15
Any excuse to bomb Gaza again. Erdogan is right, dirty politics rules!!

6 ) Mel / USA
15/07/2014 19:30
"The main goal of Israel is to maintain the occupation and oppression...."(Amira Hass).Some day Israel wil be free of brutal Zionism, state-sponsored! PALESTINE will B free 2,thanks to STALWART strength/resistance of PALESTINIAN people.Who needs BARBAROUS-BOTS like Bibi,Livni,Lieberman etc,when there're INTELLIGENT,acute-peripheral-vision people like Hass,Finkelstein,Rabbani &many others! http://www.democracynow.org/2014/7/15/after_192_killed_in_gaza_is?autostart=true

7 ) JoeFattal / USA
15/07/2014 19:39
This war probably will cost the US more that israel can afford. The reason why the US will have to push for a ceasefire and probably give Hamas what they are demanding. It is costing the US billion of dollars for Israel to replace their missiles and Hamas is aware of that. It cost the US a million dollars for Israel to shoot that drone over Tel-Aviv something that Netanyahu will have to turn to the US for financial aids to ressuply them.

8 ) Mel / USA
15/07/2014 19:48
Cont: the analysis of Israel's Zionist double-standards &deception is brilliantly outlined by people who Bibi could ONLY WISH to be equal to.Bibi is not even as tall as these good peoples shoe-laces!BRAVO guys/gals.And for all you Ziobots out there,listen CAREFULLY to these people,if you want Israel to survive w/out your real oppressor i.e. ZIONISM!http://www.democracynow.org/2014/7/15/after_192_killed_in_gaza_is?autostart=true

9 ) Henri / Israel
15/07/2014 19:59
Probably Egypt forgot to call Hamas leaders about their peace initiative !! One Israeli is just reported dead. This means that according to the respective value of one Israeli compared to one Palestinian (one to one thousand and sixty five - Shalit exchange rate established by Hamas leaders) the balance is uneven. Just get rid of Hamas and all other terror organisation and start constructing for life and peace.

10 ) Brian Cohen / Israel
15/07/2014 20:35
Too bad Hamas did not accept the cease fire. Now more people will die, but that makes Hamas happy to have martyrs. If Hamas is happy, then their supporters are happy too, like many of the commenters who support Hamas. But while they are happy, Gazans continue to suffer and die under Hamas.
Name Country
Comment
Characters
Note: Comments will be reviewed for appropriate content. Click here for more details.

Share/Bookmark

Kerry: 'Imperative' to resume Israel-Palestinian talks
Israeli forces detain Palestinian journalist near Ramallah
Israeli defense minister in US after spat over Kerry remarks

Close Next Previous
All Rights Reserved © Ma'an News Agency 2005 - 2014