Bethlehem-area man succumbs to wounds sustained in overnight clashes
Published Wednesday 23/07/2014 (updated) 24/07/2014 18:07
Photo shows Mahmoud Hamamra, the first of two Palestinians to be
killed by Israeli forces during clashes in Husan near Bethlehem early
BETHLEHEM (Ma'an) -- A young Palestinian man from Husan west of Bethlehem died of wounds sustained early Wednesday during clashes with Israeli forces in his village, a Ma'an reporter said.
Muhammad Qasim Hamamra, 19, died of his wounds after being shot in the head by Israeli forces.
The man was the second Palestinian to die from wounds sustained in the clashes.
Mahmoud Hamamra, 32, was shot in the chest after the clashes broke out in Husan, Palestinian security sources told AFP early Wednesday.
Medics at al-Mizan Hospital announced his death hours later.
An Israeli army spokeswoman told AFP that he had been one of about of about 50 people throwing rocks and petrol bombs at soldiers.
"One of the protesters was apparently hit by rubber bullets and died from that," she said.
Clashes broke out as dozens of Palestinians gathered in the area in protest of Israel's ongoing assault on Gaza, which has killed nearly 700 Palestinians.