2 bodies pulled from the rubble in Rafah
Published Friday 01/08/2014 (updated) 01/08/2014 19:35
Palestinian rescue workers remove a body from under the rubble of
a building destroyed by an Israeli air strike in the southern Gaza town
of Rafah, on July 29, 2014 (AFP Said Khatib)
GAZA CITY (Ma'an) -- As thousands of Gazans poured out of their homes on Friday morning to take advantage of the temporary cessation to hostilities to stock up on household goods, medical teams fanned out to areas devastated by Israeli bombardment.
The teams searched the rubble for dead Palestinian bodies that they had been unable to reach previously due to Israeli shelling, as well as Israeli rules that prevent ambulances from reaching the injured in border areas.
On Friday morning so far, medics had pulled two bodies out from under rubble in Rafah in southern Gaza Strip.
The bodies of Moussa Hamad Abu Imran and Hilal Eid Abu Imran were brought to Abu Youssef al-Najjar hospital in Rafah.
Since the beginning of its three-week assault on Gaza, Israel has imposed increasingly restrictive measures against movement in the Gaza Strip, with the UN saying that around 43 percent of the tiny coastal enclave is now off-limits to Gazans.
Ambulances, meanwhile, must coordinate entry to these areas with both the Red Cross and Israeli forces, and permission is not always forthcoming.
The PLO says that 13 hospitals and 10 clinics have been damaged in Israeli strikes since the beginning of the assault, while 12 ambulances have been damaged, 38 health personnel injured, and 15 health personnel killed.