اجعلنا صفحة البداية RSS خدمة Add to favorite Facebook Twitter

Advanced

Qassam: Missing soldier likely killed by Israeli shelling
Published Saturday 02/08/2014 (updated) 03/08/2014 09:36
Font- Font+
(MaanImages/File)
GAZA CITY (Ma'an) -- Hamas' military wing said early Saturday that it has no information on the whereabouts of the Israeli soldier missing in Gaza, and suggested that he had been killed by Israeli shelling.

The al-Qassam Brigades said in a statement that it had lost contact with a group of militants that could have captured a soldier amid clashes with Israeli troops early Friday.

"We lost contact with a group of fighters ... when Israeli occupation forces penetrated east of Rafah. We suspect they were all killed by Israeli shelling, including the soldier, who, supposedly, was abducted by the group."

The statement went on to explain Hamas' understanding of the chronology of events that led to the collapse of the ceasefire on Friday.

"What happened east of Rafah Friday morning was that occupation forces took advantage of the alleged humanitarian ceasefire to penetrate our land for more than two kilometers. We estimate that our fighters who were in the area clashed with the Israeli troops around 7:00 before the alleged ceasefire went into effect."

"Then, Israeli airstrikes and artillery shelling targeted Palestinian civilians after 10:00 a.m., breaching the ceasefire under the pretext of searching for a missing soldier."

The account differs significantly from Israeli army statements about the collapse of the ceasefire.

The Israeli army on Friday said that "an attack ... executed against (Israeli) forces operating to decommission a tunnel" occurred at 9:30 a.m, an hour and a half into the ceasefire.

"Initial indication suggests that an (army) soldier has been abducted by terrorists during the incident," the army said in a statement.

The US and the UN responded to the incident by reiterating the Israeli army's chronology of events, and called for the immediate release of the soldier.

"I think it's going to be very hard to put a ceasefire back together again if Israelis and the international community can't feel confident that Hamas can follow through on a ceasefire commitment," US President Barack Obama said Friday.
Print
1 ) Steve / OPT
02/08/2014 11:47
Just an observation: Usually it takes the IDF quite some time to acknowledge a potential abduction of a soldier, as this under "normal" circumstances is considered a defeat. This time, the IDF blurts it out immediately without even themselves being sure that he is abducted. It should raise an eyebrow on the Israeli narrative.

2 ) Tinny / US
02/08/2014 12:36
Of course just like the 3 settlers that were NOT killed by Hamas and Israel still has provided any proof as to what happened to them but I bet Israel knows exactly how and where they were killed!

3 ) George / USA
02/08/2014 13:21
IDF doesn't give a damn about their own soldiers. They don't only allow them to die, but sometimes kill them to avoid giving the other side a bargaining chip. It's called the "Hannibal Directive", look it up on the internet. Considering the above, I have little doubt they have shelled the entire area to avoid the resistance's escape with a prisoner, therefore very likely killing their own soldier. And if so, they did it while being fully aware that their own soldier will die. Barbarians.

4 ) Tobias / USA
02/08/2014 14:23
- If the missing soldier was taken alive at all, he is likely safe, due to his great strategic value to Hamas, and - If he is dead, Hamas should produce him, since the cost in blood, to the human-shields of Raphia, will remain high forever, until he is recovered !!

5 ) Tibi / Tubas
02/08/2014 14:44
Hamas said that captive soldier Gilad Shalit was "likely killed" in 2006, and * QASSAM IS LIKELY A LIAR.

6 ) malik / UK
02/08/2014 14:51
No information on the whereabouts of the Israeli occupation "soldier" (a child combat) then israel should start digging through the city to find this him,he is probably under the rubble as well as hundreds of Palestinians that this mass murderer have murdered.

7 ) Maureen / Australia
02/08/2014 15:21
Netanyahu says he now expects the US and the rest of the world to support him. (YNet News) It is interesting to note US media (TV NEWS) says the US stands alone in the world in its support of Israel and that a growing demographic of US civillians do not support the Israel line! Israel obviously was not abiding by the ceasefire, just didn't drop big bombs for a few hours!

8 ) Mel / USA
02/08/2014 17:26
Rational.Why deny it,when a capture is leverage(for Pal detainees).Israel is"adept" at FRATRICIDE in battle.So ? this occupation soldier was 'fratted'?Or maybe he's at home safe,&was JUST the excuse to moonscape Rafah,AGAIN? TRUTH:if the WHOLE 67yrs IsraZionist OCCUPATION & collective punishment of ALL non-Jews ENDED,Israeli-Jews could be home,sleep,have SANE fun,¬ COMMIT SUICIDE from Judeo-Zionist hell,on them & ALL Palestinine's KIDS!What a mess Israel is in,underNAZI ZIONISM! SELF-IMPOSED!

9 ) Maureen / Australia
02/08/2014 19:11
It's not England's war... the young fellow should have stayed home! "It's not just radicalised Islamists - What about foreign fighters who flock to the IDF?" By Robert Fisk The Independent 28.7.2014. Genocide/war crimes are being committed in Gaza. Will foreign fighters in IDF be questioned by authorities when they return to their countries - Australia included?

10 ) soedirman / indonesia
03/08/2014 06:41
For Palistine to be united... miracle will come soon if you have been fighting by yourself , freedom or syuhada
Name Country
Comment
Characters
Note: Comments will be reviewed for appropriate content. Click here for more details.

Share/Bookmark

Israel hands 11 demolition orders to houses in Silwan
Rocket fired from Gaza hits southern Israel
Palestinian shot, injured during weekly Qalqiliya march

Close Next Previous
All Rights Reserved © Ma'an News Agency 2005 - 2014