اجعلنا صفحة البداية RSS خدمة Add to favorite Facebook Twitter

Advanced

Israel says missing soldier killed in battle, body still missing
Published Sunday 03/08/2014 (updated) 03/08/2014 22:24
Font- Font+
An Israeli soldier covers his ears as a 155mm artillery piece fires towards
targets in the Gaza Strip (AFP David Buimovitch)
GAZA CITY (AFP) -- The Israeli army on Sunday announced the death of Hadar Goldin, a soldier who had been declared missing, as Israel continued to pound the Gaza Strip killing 35 on Sunday alone.

A special committee led by the army's chief rabbi said Lieutenant Goldin had been "killed in battle in the Gaza Strip on Friday," the Israeli armed forces said in a statement.

Military radio said that no body had been recovered, adding that this made the decision to announce Goldin's death a "very delicate" one.

There was no government word on the whereabouts of the soldier's remains.

Israel had previously said the soldier had been captured in battle, and in the wake of the announcement launched the deadliest 24-hour assault on Gaza since the beginning of the 27-day operation that has killed more than 1,700 Palestinians.

Israel also refused to abide by an agreed-upon 72-hour ceasefire in the wake of the attack, which Hamas said came before the ceasefire came into effect and after a night in which Israeli attacks killed 16 people and forces had deployed deep into eastern Rafah.

Hamas's armed wing, the Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades, had acknowledged its militants staged an ambush early Friday in which two other Israeli soldiers were killed, but denied holding Goldin.

With no resolution in sight, a senior Palestinian delegation landed in Cairo for talks Sunday on an Egyptian ceasefire initiative, but Israel said it was not sending a negotiating team.

"Hamas has proven that it breaches any agreement reached right away, as happened five times in previous truces," deputy foreign minister Tzahi HaNegbi told AFP.

"It is therefore unclear at this stage what benefit Israel might see for participating in an attempt to reach agreements, based on the Egyptian initiative," he added.

US Middle East envoy Frank Lowenstein is expected to arrive for talks, along with representatives of both Hamas and Islamic Jihad.

The Gaza violence has claimed more than 1,730 Palestinian lives, the vast majority of which have been civilians, and displaced up to a quarter of the territory's population.

Goldin's death brings Israeli army deaths to 64 since the start of hostilities on July 8, its heaviest toll since the 2006 war against the Lebanese Hezbollah.

'As much force as needed'

Earlier Saturday, Israel pulled back troops from two areas in Gaza in what was initially interpreted as a sign it was winding down its biggest military operation there in decades.

The army informed residents of Beit Lahiya and Al-Atatra in the north that it was "safe" to return home.

Troops were also seen pulling out of villages east of Khan Younis in the south, in the first such moves since the Israeli operation began last month.

But there appeared to be little further indication Israel was planning to wrap up its operations, with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu promising that Hamas would pay "an insufferable price" for continued cross-border rocket fire.

"We will take as much time as necessary, and will exert as much force as needed," he said at a news conference, adding that troops had also dealt a "significant blow" to Hamas's infrastructure.

Troops would complete their mission to destroy a complex network of tunnels used by militants to infiltrate southern Israel before the next security objectives would be decided, he said, warning that "all options" were on the table.

A wounded Palestinian girl arrives at the hospital in Rafah on Saturday
following an Israeli military strike (AFP Said Khatib)

'Netanyahu facing real crisis'

Exiled Hamas chief Khaled Meshaal insisted that the Palestinian side had not broken the short-lived ceasefire, putting the spotlight on Israel.

"A truce is a truce. but the presence of the Israeli forces inside Gaza and destroying the tunnels means it is an aggression," he told CNN in an interview late Saturday.

A spokesman for the movement mocked Netanyahu's statements as "confused," and as testimony of the "real crisis" he was facing.

"We will continue our resistance until we achieve our goals," Hamas spokesman Fawzi Barhum told AFP.

Israel had said Friday it believed the soldier Goldin had been captured near the southern Gaza city of Rafah. Immediately afterwards, Israel bombarded the Rafah area in shelling that is still ongoing, with medics saying at least 110 people were killed in 24 hours.

Meanwhile, air strikes and tank fire continued pounding huge areas of southern Gaza into rubble, killing scores more people on Saturday, as militants kept up their cross-border fire, with 56 rockets hitting Israel, although without causing damage or injuries.

Thousands of protesters, many wrapped in Palestinian flags, rallied outside the White House in Washington on Saturday to call for peace and an end to the fighting in Gaza.

Ma'an staff contributed to this report.
Print
1 ) klose / germany
03/08/2014 06:52
LOL Mr Obama and US poeple , ask to you so how many times you becae victim israel's lie or propaganda , as US President it's.very shame on you ..

2 ) AKeenReader / UK
03/08/2014 11:36
Israeli's always knew that the soldier was dead, but to gain world sympathy following the massacre of UNWRA school they created this diversion to take world mind off this issue. How come that they announced soon after Nutt-anyahu's statement? They must have known the outcome for quite some time but intentionally ommitted to mention it as part of the statement. Hamas told the truth all along but Obama as usual jumped on the Israeli band wagon. Similar lies told as of 3 Israeli teenagers death.

3 ) J. / USA
03/08/2014 12:01
Once again, Netanyahu has lied and used the lie as an excuse to further their goals. If they lied about the soldier, they certainly would have lied about who broke the truce. They had no intention of stopping at any time; they pretended to accept a truce for the sake of their international image, which has suffered a lot. The operation was extremely expensive for them, but as long as US finances them, they don't care. Stop financing them, and you will have long lasting peace.

4 ) abu mohamed / usa
03/08/2014 13:03
may all those who killed the people of Gaza be burned and their ashes be used to build a tunnel to destroy the rest of the Israeli dogs.. may Allahs wrath be a curse on all the Zionist pigs

5 ) JoeFattal / USA
03/08/2014 16:09
cont....the IDF released a statement that he was confirm dead. The men either is missing in action somewhere in Rafah, or taken prisonner by some faction. But they can't pronouce that men dead yet until they find the body. But knowing Israel and their values of human lives and we can see that in Gaza the men disappearance came at the moment that Israel was intensify the sealing of the tunnels and care less about his wherabouts.

6 ) Ahmed / Canada
03/08/2014 16:42
More israelis soliders die more its better

7 ) Richard Alexander / USA
03/08/2014 18:24
The bravery and depth of mind and plans of the Palestinian in Gaza is a source of human pride and solace. Under the extreme circumstances they are under, they manage to have a well planned existence. The heartlessness of the "Israeli" is very disturbing. What man can do to man is mind boggling. Ask these brainwashed soldiers if their grandparents lived in Palestine and what kind of relationship they had with their Arabic Palestinian neighbours.
Name Country
Comment
Characters
Note: Comments will be reviewed for appropriate content. Click here for more details.

Share/Bookmark

Ceasefire talks to resume in Cairo before end of month
Police: Infant killed in Jerusalem attack, Palestinian driver shot
Palestinian child killed by unexploded Israeli ordnance in Gaza

Close Next Previous
All Rights Reserved © Ma'an News Agency 2005 - 2014