Israeli soldier, civilian injured in rocket strike
Published Friday 08/08/2014 (updated) 09/08/2014 16:36
BETHLEHEM (Ma'an) -- The Israeli military on Friday said that an Israeli soldier and a civilian were injured in a rocket strike on Sdot Negev in southern Israel.
The rocket strike came after a 72-hour ceasefire ended at 8 a.m. after Palestinian factions said Israel refused conditions calling for the lifting of the blockade of Gaza for a long-term ceasefire agreement.
The Israeli military said that since hostilities resumed Friday morning, 33 rockets had been launched at Israel, of which 26 hit, three were intercepted by Israel's Iron Dome system, and four landed short.
The Israeli military on Friday morning also said in a statement that it was renewing "protection" orders for civilians across the south limiting large gatherings, including any gathering of more than 500 civilians anywhere within 40 kilometers (25 miles) of the Gaza Strip, which covers Ashkelon, Ashdod, and Beer Sheva.
Gatherings of more than 1,000 civilians, meanwhile, were banned in all areas 40-80 kilometers (50 miles) from Gaza, including Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Haifa, Netanya, Beit Shemesh, the Jordan Valley, and the Negev region.
Since the ceasefire ended on Friday morning, Israeli air strikes have killed one Palestinian and injured 12 more, bringing the total Palestinian dead in the more than month-long Israeli assault to more than 1,890.