اجعلنا صفحة البداية RSS خدمة Add to favorite Facebook Twitter

Advanced

Egypt bars HRW head ahead of Rabaa killings report
Published Monday 11/08/2014 (updated) 11/08/2014 20:52
Font- Font+
Supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood raise four fingers, the symbol
known as "Rabaa", remembering those killed in the crackdown on the
Rabaa al-Adawiya protest camp in Cairo last year, during a
demonstration in Cairo in Jan. 2014 (FP/File Mahmoud Khaled)
CAIRO (AFP) -- Egypt has barred the head of Human Rights Watch from entering the country ahead of the release of a report on a mass killing of protesters, HRW officials said Monday.

Kenneth Roth, executive director of the New York-based NGO, and HRW Middle East director Sarah Leah Whitson were held overnight in Cairo airport before being denied entry, Whitson wrote on Twitter.

"It's official - shortest visit to Cairo ever - 12 hours before deportation for 'security reasons' - the new Egypt certainly 'transitioning,'" Whitson wrote.

The rights activists had flown to Cairo for the release of a report to mark a year since the mass killing of an estimated 700 opposition protesters, in one of the deadliest incidents of its kind in decades.

The protesters, supporters of deposed Islamist president Mohamed Morsi, had been camped out around the Rabaa al-Adawiya mosque in Cairo for weeks when police moved in to disperse them on Aug. 14, using tear gas and live ammunition.

A government official estimated roughly 700 protesters were killed in the dispersal, along with eight policemen.

Rights activists say the number of dead could have been significantly higher.

"Rab'a massacre numbers rank with Tiananmen and Andijan but Egypt gov't wouldn't let me in to present report on it," Kenneth Roth wrote on Twitter.
Print
1 ) Terry / Sweden
11/08/2014 17:51
So much for Egyptian democracy.

2 ) Maureen / Australia
11/08/2014 19:51
The Egyptian military junta and the Israeli military junta are two sides of the same coin!

3 ) Mel / USA
11/08/2014 20:28
Now if that isn't THE MOST EMBARRASSING/DEGRADING THING for millions of Egyptian people? Oh my Lord! Cairo(El Sisi)just officially DECLARED its intentions to the WORLD,that it puts USG & Israel's WAR CRIMES & CRUEL,INDECENT,DEGRADING,INHUMAN,(abnormally usual)unusual,human rights abuses & COLLECTIVE PUNISHMENT of 2 MILLION Gazans,abaove DEMOCRACY & HUMAN RIGHTS! Cairo just declared EGYTP as a ZIONIST PROXY officially! To come from the PYRAMIDS to the pit of Zionist sh*t! Criminal!
Name Country
Comment
Characters
Note: Comments will be reviewed for appropriate content. Click here for more details.

Share/Bookmark

Man says Israeli settlers attempted to kidnap his 4-year-old son
Israeli forces close major checkpoint on Bethlehem-Ramallah road
FM: PA making amendments to UN statehood bid

Close Next Previous
All Rights Reserved © Ma'an News Agency 2005 - 2014