اجعلنا صفحة البداية RSS خدمة Add to favorite Facebook Twitter

Advanced

US accuses Israel of targeting Abu Khdeir family
Published Thursday 21/08/2014 (updated) 22/08/2014 11:55
Font- Font+
The family of 16-year old Mohammed Abu Khder, who was
kidnapped from east Jerusalem on July 2 and burned to death,
stand outside the District Court in Jerusalem, on August 6, 2014
(AFP/File Ahmad Gharabli)
WASHINGTON (AFP) -- The United States on Wednesday claimed Israel had targeted members of a Palestinian family whose teenage son was kidnapped and killed in July.

Tensions between Palestinians and Israelis in annexed East Jerusalem plunged to a new low on July 2 when 16-year-old Mohammed Abu Khdeir was snatched from an East Jerusalem street and later found burned alive.

Israeli police arrested six alleged Jewish extremists as suspects and on July 17 charged three, freeing the others.

The death of the Palestinian teen -- thought likely in retaliation for the abduction and killing of three Israeli students in late June -- sparked rioting and helped unleash the conflict under way in Gaza between Israel and Hamas.

Three days after his death, on July 5, the United States slammed Israel's arrest of a 15-year-old cousin, Tarek Abu Khdeir, 15, a US citizen.

He was brutally beaten in an assault captured on camera, detained, and eventually freed and allowed to return to Florida.

On July 28, another cousin of Abu Khdeir, also American, was arrested in Israel as well, the State Department said Wednesday.

Deputy Spokeswoman Marie Harf identified him as "Mohammed Abou Khdeir," which would mean his name is the same as his murdered cousin's.

"We can confirm that Mohammed Abu Khdeir, a US citizen, was arrested on July 28. The US consulate general in Jerusalem is providing consular assistance. A consular official visited him on August 14th. The consulate is also in contact with Mr. Khdeir's family and his lawyer," Harf said.

Yet "we are concerned that the US consulate general in Jerusalem was not notified of his arrest by the government of Israel.

And "we are also concerned about the fact that members of the Khdeir family appeared to be singled out for arrest by the Israeli authorities," Harf added.
Print
1 ) Marnie / Israel
21/08/2014 12:20
Is it known what state the 2nd Mohammed Abou Khdeir is from and where are his parents or did he travel alone? He's been held for almost one month. What are the charges against him? This only looks like intentional harassment of this family? What have they done to be singled out by israel? What is the US going to do besides hand-wringing and being "concerned". They continue to let this psychotic government spin out of control.

2 ) David / USA
21/08/2014 15:00
And what about Obama's silence on the American teen that was one of the three kidnapped, murdered, and mutilated Jewish boys? No 'concern' there? No demanding answers from Hamas? That's our State Dept for you. Worthless.

3 ) Carlos / usa
21/08/2014 20:00
It is about time the USA started complaining about israeli terrorism! The people of the USA back him on that. I was really mad at the democratic convention when the democratic party forced an unpopular decision to move USA embassy to Jerusalem. They had a voice vote and israel lost 3 times. However after the third time the Democratic leadership pronounced israel had won the election. It showed me how undemocratic and how unpopular israel is in USA.

4 ) carlos / usa
21/08/2014 20:02
David/USA dont worry the terrorist government of israel will let the murderers of Mohammed Abu Khdier go after a sham trial on some insignificant technicality. israel murders lies and steals. israel would not know what to do without one of those 3.

5 ) Maureen / Australia
21/08/2014 20:17
#2 David. Well now, you have a point there, but Netanyahu may not wand such "concern," especially as there was a Zionist rampage causing Palestinian collective punishment while all the time the Jewish victims had been found, eh David?

6 ) Richard Lightbown / Europe
21/08/2014 20:40
Nothing said about the American teen that shot by Israeli commandos while filming on the Mavi Marmara and then kicked and shot repeatedly at point blank range. No demanding answers from Benjamin Netanyahu when he was forced to give an apology to Turkey. That's your president for you David: worthless. Strange how this slipped your mind David.
Name Country
Comment
Characters
Note: Comments will be reviewed for appropriate content. Click here for more details.

Share/Bookmark

Settlers 'occupy 23 homes' in East Jerusalem neighborhood
Official: Israel to allow 500 Gazans to visit Jerusalem over Eid
Palestinian MK criticizes ejection of Amira Hass from Birzeit

Close Next Previous
All Rights Reserved © Ma'an News Agency 2005 - 2014