Gazan succumbs to wounds from Israeli offensive, total dead hits 2,152
Published Wednesday 03/09/2014 (updated) 04/09/2014 11:29
GAZA CITY (Ma'an) -- A Palestinian died Wednesday of injuries sustained during the Israeli assault on the Gaza Strip over the last two months.
Medical sources said Nasir Abu Marahil, 40, passed away in a Jerusalem hospital as a result of injuries he sustained in al-Nusairat refugee camp on July 25.
Gaza medical authorities said the death toll in Gaza had risen to 2,152 as a result of the Israeli offensive.
The offensive lasted more than 50 days and left more than 11,000 injured, as well as more than 100,000 Gazans homeless.
Despite the high death toll in Gaza, many Palestinians hailed the ceasefire that brought the end of the offensive as a major victory for Palestinians.
Israel promised the easing of the eight-year long siege on the besieged coastal enclave while Palestinians offered no concessions in return.
Since then, however, watchdogs say Israeli authorities have failed to act on their promise, although a new round of negotiations is supposed to be held in September.