اجعلنا صفحة البداية RSS خدمة Add to favorite Facebook Twitter

Advanced

Israel charges suspect in West Bank teens' kidnap
Published Thursday 04/09/2014 (updated) 06/09/2014 20:55
Font- Font+
Israelis attend the joint funeral of three kidnapped teens on July 1, 2014
(AFP/File Jack Guez)
JERUSALEM (AFP) -- A prime suspect in the kidnapping and murder of three Israeli teenagers in the West Bank has been charged with organizing and financing the crime, Israeli security officials said Thursday.

The deaths, which Israel immediately blamed on Hamas despite Hamas' repeated denials, triggered a massive Israeli campaign across the the Palestinian territories including a devastating 50-day war in Gaza that killed more than 2,100 Palestinians.

Israel's internal security service Shin Bet accused Hossam Qawasmeh, who was arrested on July 11, of organizing the June 12 kidnapping and spending some 220,000 shekels ($61,300, 47,200 euros) on weapons and cars used in the crime.

According to the charge sheet seen by AFP, Qawasmeh was charged in a military court for "transferring enemy funds," carrying out services for an illegal organization (Hamas) and "deliberately causing the death" of the three Israelis.

The indictment noted that Qawasmeh had asked and obtained the money from his brother Mahmud, "a Hamas operative who had been expelled to Gaza."

The boys were shot almost immediately after their abduction, and their bodies were discovered on June 30 near to where they were snatched.

Critics said that despite knowledge of the youth's deaths, the Israeli government withheld the information for weeks as it engaged in a massive arrest campaign across the West Bank that led to the detention of more than 700 individuals unrelated to the crime, while leaving nearly a dozen dead and more than hundred injured in raids and ensuing clashes.

Qawasmeh's two suspected accomplices, Marwan Qawasmeh and Amer Abu Eisha, are still at large.

The Israeli army destroyed the homes of the latter two on July 1, a day after the teens' bodies were found, Palestinian witnesses said.

The army says the kidnapping was orchestrated by Qawasmeh, a senior Hamas militant who sent the other two, both of whom had a history of serving time in prison for their involvement in Hamas, to carry out the abduction.

Israel's massive arrests in the West Bank triggered an uptick in rocket fire from the Gaza Strip in response, setting the stage for an Israeli operation in Gaza.

Ma'an staff contributed to this report.
Print
1 ) carlos / usa
05/09/2014 20:14
What I really want to see- Will israel convict the murderer of the boy burned alive? Not a chance! israel is a terrorist nation.

2 ) JoeFattal / USA
06/09/2014 00:06
Does the land grag that Israel confiscated belong to the suspect that been charge. Israel has said that the land grab was because of the kidnapp and murder of the 3 settlers. Or probably better off the land grag was for Israel expanding the fishing zone to 6 miles. That might be the reason behind it. Give something, take something. And Netanyahu has balls to say he had a victory.

3 ) Carlos, people like / you
06/09/2014 06:51
will always maintain that Israel didn't convict the murderers of the palestinian boy, even after they are convicted. Just as you will maintain that the Gaza war was started by Israel as retaliation for Hamas killing of 3 israeli boys, and you will also maintain that Hamas was innocent of the crime.

4 ) Hey Joe / Who is
08/09/2014 14:38
the victor, the one with his pockets inside/out?
Name Country
Comment
Characters
Note: Comments will be reviewed for appropriate content. Click here for more details.

Share/Bookmark

Israeli rightists hold anti-Palestinian demo at light rail station
Questions plague mother of Jerusalem car attack suspect
Israel to seal or demolish Jerusalem suspect's home

Close Next Previous
All Rights Reserved © Ma'an News Agency 2005 - 2014